Why We Call God, Father . . .



The embrace of the father and son in the image of this post is a familiar, maybe even nostalgically pleasant portrait for many.

But honestly, it’s not for me. I do not know my father. By “know” I mean in a familial, intimate sense.

I met him once in my early 20’s. Besides that he is not much more familiar to me than a stranger. For this reason, words such as “Father,” “Dad,” and “Papa” have always felt drab and foreign. When most of my friends shared an emotional connection with these paternal titles, for me, they lacked any real sentiment.

Lord, Teach Us To Pray . . .

It wasn't until I began to think deeply about the Lord’s Prayer that the word “Father” seemed to come to life. When Jesus taught the disciples how to pray (Matthew 6: 9-13, Luke 11: 2-4) He instructed them to say, “Our Father . . .” This was a drastic departure from the rabbinic ways of prayer. “Father” had been used in the Old Testament, but only as a means of addressing God as the Sovereign Creator or Founder of the nation of Israel. It was never used in the personal manner in which Jesus used when praying or in His instructions to pray. Such an emotive, intimate word to use to address the Creator of the Universe . . .

But it was and is fitting. The language that the Bible uses to describe God’s love for us is one of a Heavenly Father . . .

 . . . God is not a distant, aloof deity that knows everything that happens in this world, yet does nothing. Like a loving father that sees children in need, He has adopted us into His family and we are coheirs with His Son (Rom. 8:17). When in distress, He encourages us to cry out, “Abba! Father!” (Rom. 8:15) He loves us with an everlasting love which (unlike human fathers) cannot fail (Eph. 2:8). His love knows no bounds; it is “as high as the heavens are above the earth” (Ps. 103:11). In times of fear or despondency He helps us by strengthening us with His “righteous right hand” (Is. 41:10). Even in our rebellion He showed His love by giving up His only Son for us all (Rom. 8:32) . . .

A Faithful Father

These aren't the attributes of an inattentive, indifferent, compassionless deity. These are the qualities of a Father that loves us so much that when just one lost “sheep” is found, He rejoices and there is jubilation in heaven. (Lk. 15:3-7)

The word “Father” no longer holds the peculiar feelings that it did before I became a Christian. Instead, a warm, peaceful feeling envelops me at the mere thought of Him. The love He has shown me compels me to reflect His love to everyone I encounter, including my beautiful 4-year old son. I pray that, as a father, I can give him even a small piece of heaven, but my greater prayer is that He grows to love the Father who lives in heaven.

See what kind of love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are . . .” – 1 John 3:1

God bless, beloved . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment